Thursday 19 April 2012

Dunc The Hunk!

Questions for Duncan's Bodybuilding Profile!


Future Fitness instructor Duncan is competing at the next British National Bodybuilding Federation Scottish Nationals on June 10th in Perth, where he will be competing in the middleweight category.

Hey Duncan! Tell us about the BNBF competition you have coming up...

-       BNBF is the British National Bodybuilding Federation, so it’s a competition where I try to present my body as best I can. This competition is the Scottish qualifier for the British competition.



So what made you get involved in bodybuilding in the first place??
-       I’ve always trained more towards sport, but now with my commitment to the gym I can’t train that way as much. After attending a previous BNBF competition, I really enjoyed it, and felt I could fit this training bette into my lifestyle.



Talk us through the strict diet you had to undergo in order to qualify and get
yourself ready for the competition...

-       There’s nothing fancy involved, my secret is a set of scales. I weigh all my food. I don’t have loads of protein or something, I just have a balanced diet including protein, carbohydrates, fat, and weigh it all. My daily calorie intake used to be 3400, but now I’ve cut it down  to 2700. This way I know exactly what’s coming in and what I’m putting out.


And what about your training regime/programme?

-       In the last 6 weeks, I’ve had set days what I train, whether it’s chest or back etc. However, now because my energy levels are so low, I don’t have a set workout as it’s not good for my mind. I just do what I feel on the day. But off-season I do lots of different regimes and mix it up every 6 weeks.



What has been motivating you to stay so committed to your diet and exercise programme?

-    I chose to do it so I’m going to see it through to the end. A lot of the gym members and my family have all bought tickets to the show, so I don’t want to let them down. Its nice to have that on days when it gets tough. Sometimes I think ‘why am I doing this? I just want to eat!’ A lot of it is just mind games.



And finally, what advice would you give to others that are thinking of getting involved in bodybuilding?

       -  DON’T DO IT! (laughs) No, you need to learn about nutrition. It’s easy to bulk up, but to build muscle and lose fat you need to learn about nutrients, proteins, carbs, fat and what they do to your body. Just get involved in BNBF, go up to Perth, and talk to people. There are not a lot of articles available. It’s totally different from performance athletes.

Thanks for sharing, Duncan! And good luck from all of Future Fitness at you're upcoming competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment